Road tripping in an RV is a great way to spend your vacation. Hitting the open road with everything you need for the week (or more) and exploring by winding backroads or open highway is fun and exciting. Like any type of travel, however, taking a road trip in your RV does come with a certain level of risk. To address that risk, you want to make sure you have the right RV trip insurance.

When traveling in an RV, you’re carrying your life (or at least your vacation life) with you on the road. You likely have valuables in your RV, which puts them at risk for theft and damage while on the road. RVs are also larger and heavier than a car, which can make them more challenging to drive and control. Plus, you’re going to new towns and destinations, and this unfamiliarity naturally increases risk.

You want to go on vacation worry-free as much as possible. Before you leave on your RV road trip, make sure you have the right insurance coverage in place, whether you own or rent your RV. Below we answer the most common FAQs with regards to insuring your RV for a road trip this summer.

How to Get RV Trip Insurance

What type of RV do you have?

It’s important to understand which type of RV you have to make sure you are fully covered on your road trip. It’s also one of the first questions you’ll be asked by an insurance agent when inquiring about an RV insurance quote.

 There are two major types of RVs: motor homes and campers.

Motor homes are units that incorporate both the camper and the vehicle together. This is classified with the DMV as class A or class B vehicles, usually depending on the size. These require their own liability coverage when you drive, as they usually aren’t covered under your auto insurance. They are considered their own separate insurable units aside from your auto coverage.

Campers or trailers are like “towable RVs.” Examples include fifth-wheel trailers, pop-up trailers, and travel trailers. These attach to your regular vehicle, like your car or truck. These are usually categorized as class C vehicles. Because these are separate entities that don’t drive on their own, they typically don’t need their own liability insurance. Any incidents that occur would be covered under your regular auto insurance for the tow vehicle (like your car). Although you probably don’t need liability insurance, you may want to consider adding on other RV trip insurance coverage, like property damage insurance, for your camper.

Depending on which type of RV you have, your RV trip insurance needs will vary. The best way to ensure you have the proper coverage for an RV road trip is to work with a licensed insurance agent to review your options and needs, based on the type of trip you’ll be taking and the type of RV you have. It can be a mistake to assume your existing coverage will be the best fit for your road tripping needs, as a road trip can bring additional or new risks along with all the fun.

Speak with an expert insurance advisor today about your RV trip insurance needs at (844) 824-2888 or schedule a call with an advisor here.

Is RV insurance required by law?

For motor homes, the law requires basic liability coverage. This helps protect other drivers on the road in case you are found at-fault in an accident. Standard liability coverage includes:

  • Bodily injury: pays for any injuries you cause to another person in an auto accident
  • Property damage liability: pays for any damages you cause to another person’s property
  • Uninsured motorists protection: pays for injury and damage if the other person doesn’t have insurance

When heading out on a road trip, it’s especially important to note that different states require different coverage limits for liability insurance. It’s usually best to get the greatest amount of liability for all the states you’ll be driving through on your trip. The greater your coverage limit, the less you have to worry while on vacation! Consult your insurance agent to determine what the best coverage would be for your trip or give us a call at (844) 824-2888.

For campers, your primary auto insurance would likely cover all liability, however, the state issue remains. Different states have different liability requirements for auto insurance as well, so a call to your agent is in order if you’ll be road trippin’ across state lines.

What are the options for RV trip insurance?

Along with liability, you can opt into other types of RV insurance depending on your needs. An insurance agent is the best resource for helping you determine if you should add on to your RV insurance coverage for your road trip.

Comprehensive and collision insurance usually go hand in hand. These pay for any damages done to your own vehicle—whether or not you are found at-fault for the accident. This includes theft, vandalism, natural disasters, and collisions with auto or stationary objects. Learn more about comprehensive coverage and collision coverage.

Medical payments coverage pays for injuries to anyone in your RV vehicle, no matter who is at fault. This can be an important layer of protection on road trips when your RV is filled with loved ones.

There are other types of RV insurance you’ll want to consider:

  • Custom equipment coverage will protect any upgrades or personalization accessories on your motor home or trailer.
  • Personal effects coverage protects your belongings if they are damaged or stolen while in the RV. Even if those belongings are listed on your homeowners’ contents coverage, personal effects can provide additional protection and coverage limits while on the road.
  • Vacation liability pays for bodily injury or property damage while your RV is parked and used as a vacation residence (as opposed to while driving).
  • Travel expense would cover any costs if your RV breaks down and you are forced to get a rental or stay in a hotel. Think of it as an insurance emergency fund. This can be especially important for road trip protection.

If you’re not sure whether one of these coverages is right for you, consult your insurance agent or one of our insurance advisors at (844) 824-2888. The two most common coverages—which we usually recommend—are comprehensive/collision and medical payments.

If you are renting or financing your motor home or camper, the financer may also require collision and comprehensive coverage. This protects you in the case that something happens to your RV and you haven’t yet paid off the loan.

Although the law doesn’t require collision and comprehensive coverage, it’s always a good idea to protect your investment.


Do I need RV rental insurance?

If you’re renting your RV, your rental company may require that you purchase short-term insurance.

In some cases, your auto insurance may be transferable to RV rentals. An auto insurance broadening clause allows you to temporarily extend your liability coverage to the states you’ll be visiting. Talk to your insurance agent to see if your car insurance will cover your RV road trip vacation or give us a call to review your policies at (844) 824-2888.

Do I need roadside assistance coverage?

Roadside assistance is recommended when going on an RV road trip. If something happens to your car, you need a way to get somewhere safe—no matter where you are.

Some insurance companies offer roadside assistance. You can purchase this through your insurance company, or you can use a company like AAA service. Some credit cards may also offer built-in roadside assistance, like Citi, Chase, and American Express.

Do all drivers need coverage on an RV trip?

Anyone who will be driving at any point during the road trip needs liability coverage. If the driver is uninsured during an accident, your insurance company may not pay for anything—including liability payouts to another party if you are found at-fault.

If you are road tripping with friends, make sure everyone purchases short-term RV insurance in case they end up driving. (Even if they don’t plan on driving, things happen. Always better to be safe than sorry.) 

Can I bundle my RV insurance?

Most insurance companies will offer some sort of bundling discount with RV insurance. This can give you a discount on your RV insurance, whether you use it once a year or as a part-time residence.

Talk to an insurance agent or call one of our insurance advisors at (844) 824-2888 to see how much you could say by bundling your RV insurance with your auto or homeowners insurance.

ReadHow Bundling Can Help You Save On Your Insurance


Are you road tripping in your RV this season? Make sure you’re fully covered with all the RV trip insurance you need in the short- and long-term by reviewing these questions and your coverage and consulting your insurance agent. Have a great trip!


Let’s hit the road together! Give us a call at (844) 824-2888 to make sure your RV is protected—for greater peace of mind on your road trip!

Not by the phone? Schedule a call with an insurance advisor or request a quote online: