There are many kinds of discounts on car insurance out there. Most applicants qualify for at least one discount. The trick is knowing the discounts you qualify for, which ones are most important to keep your insurance costs low, and which insurance companies offer them.
- Know the discounts that can lower your auto insurance price the most. Not all discounts are created equal, and not all discounts affect your premium the same way. Ultimately, it’s not about the number of discounts that you get, but the total money that you can save. The following discounts can help you save the most money:
- Multi-Policy Discount – This discount typically gets drivers the best bang for their buck. By combining your auto insurance with another insurance policy, such as a renters insurance or home insurance policy, you can see huge savings on both premiums.
- Multi-Car Discount – Adding multiple vehicles to the same policy can help you save money on the premium.
- Safety Discounts – Vehicles with anti-theft devices, anti-lock brake systems, passive restraint systems and/or airbags are eligible for additional discounts. Inform your insurance company of the various safety devices in your vehicle to maximize your discounts.
- Accident Free Discount – Drivers who have not had an accident are typically eligible for lower car insurance premiums anyway, but claim-free drivers can be eligible for an additional discount.
- Good Student Discount – Students between the ages of 16 and 24 can be eligible for a Good Student discount for maintaining a minimum of a B average.
- Ask about less common discounts that can increase your savings. Some companies allow you to combine multiple discounts to save more money. Here are some discounts that aren’t as well known:
- Employment-Based Discount – Your type of work or where you work can get you up to a 15% discount on your auto insurance.
- Buy-in-Advance Discount – You can get a discount of up to 10% for shopping and/or buying your policy early.
- Low Mileage Discount – If you drive under a certain amount of miles per year (actual number may vary by insurance company), you may be eligible for a discount of up to 20 percent on your premium.
- Green Discounts – If you drive a “green” vehicle or if you choose paperless billing, you may be eligible for discounts of up to 10 percent on your auto insurance premium.
- Group Discount – If you are a member or employee of one of your insurance company’s affinity programs, you could be eligible for varying discounts.
- Combine your car insurance with your other insurance policies. If you’re renting a home and do not already have a renters insurance policy with the same company, a multi-policy discount may pay for your policy. Most insurance policies will give you a discount on both your auto and renters insurance policies if they are with the same company.
- Find an insurance company which offers discounts that are relevant to you. Not all insurance companies offer the same discount, and the percentage of savings can vary from company to company. Some examples of discounts from our carriers may be:
- Online Quote Discount – Some companies will give you a discount for starting a car insurance quote online. Typical savings are around 5 percent.
- Switch & Save Discount – For simply switching your auto insurance to participating companies, you can receive an additional 5 percent discount.
- Teen Safe Driver Discount – By sharing data about your teen’s driving habits, you could be eligible for a discount of up to 20 percent.
- Life Changes Discount – If you’ve recently retired, married, moved, or graduated, some insurance companies may provide you with a discount on your car insurance premium.
- Ownership Discounts – If you own your own home or vehicle, there are certain insurance companies that will provide you with an average discount of 5 percent on your annual premium.
- Lastly, don’t be fooled into lowering your coverage for a discount. There is a difference between a price break and a lowering of coverage. For example, raising your deductible can help save you money, but lowering your limits could leave you with inadequate protection. Start with the right coverage, then apply applicable discounts to lower your auto insurance premium.
Can we lend a hand? We know companies and discounts inside and out and our advice is free.
Get the savings you deserve.