It’s camping and road-tripping season, which means it’s time to kick back, relax, and have fun with family and friends. There’s no better way to spend the warm months than taking a drive with your RV, trailer, or camper. But it’s all fun and games until something happens. A common question we get in regards to RV insurance is, “Is my camper covered by homeowners insurance? Is it covered by my auto insurance?”

RVs are a little tricky to insure because of their hybrid nature. Sometimes they’re a home, sometimes they’re a car, and sometimes they’re for vacation. Accidents and costs could fall under different types of insurance policies. You always want to be aware of how your insurance policies work together to cover your RV in its entirety.

You don’t want to ruin your vacation by ending up with serious expenses or liability in the case of an incident with your RV - is your camper or RV fully covered in the case of an accident? Below, we’ll go through some scenarios illustrating when and how your camper would be covered as well as any additional insurance policies you might need to stay safe this summer.

What insurance should you use to cover your camper?

Type of RV

Recreational vehicle (RV) is a broad term that can refer to a bunch of types of vehicles. We’ll talk broadly below, but each type of RV has different set of requirements.

RV insurance is important for vehicles like a full coach, camper van, pop up, and travel trailer. These are the RVs will refer to most below, because they are sometimes a car and sometimes a home.

RVs that are towable, not drivable vehicles may not require as much insurance, and the state usually doesn’t require additional RV insurance for them. However, they still have unique potential for loss, so you should consider purchasing RV insurance for these.

Learn the difference between insuring an RV, a motorhome, and a camper here.

When your camper is on your property

If you own your RV, it probably spends the majority of its time sitting in your driveway or garage when not in use. When an RV is sitting on your property, it is usually covered by your homeowners’ insurance.

It’s considered a part of your homeowners liability, so if someone is injured on or near it while it’s parked on your property, your homeowners policy would typically cover the associated expenses.

If the RV itself is damaged, homeowners insurance will only cover it if you’ve specifically included the RV on your homeowners’ contents list. Any possessions you store on the RV may be covered as well, if they are also listed on the contents coverage.

Keep in mind that if you store your RV in a shed or detached garage, it may fall under the “additional structures” portion of your homeowners’ insurance.

It’s important to note that not all home insurers cover RVs. Some homeowners policies specifically exclude recreational vehicles, so you’ll want to check with an insurance agent to make sure you’re fully covered.

So, in general, when your RV is parked on your property, your home insurance will likely cover liability as well as may cover your RV and listed belongings.

Speak with a licensed insurance advisor today to review whether your homeowners insurance policy will cover your RV at (844) 824-2888.

What if you store your RV off-property?

In most cases, your RV will still be covered under your homeowners’ insurance, even if you keep it in a shed or storage unit that’s not directly on your property. Just make sure to include your RV and all possessions on your contents list with your insurance agent, so they know how and where you’re storing your RV. Some insurers will actually give you a discount if you store your RV in a professional storage unit, because it may be better protected from weather, vandalism, and theft. 

When your camper is on the road

When your camper is on the road, it’s now considered an automobile, not a home. So, you’d assume it would fall under auto insurance… but it doesn’t always.

Your auto insurance will usually cover liability associated to your camper or RV while on the road. This means your auto insurance will cover another party’s expenses—both bodily injury liability and property damage—if you are found at fault for an accident while driving.

For example, let’s say your car is towing a trailer, the trailer breaks loose and hits the car behind you. Any damage done to the other party’s car or passengers would be covered under your auto insurance, up to your limits.

Most of the time, your auto insurance won’t cover damage to your own trailer or contents, though. Some insurers will cover damage to your RV, but the limits are usually low and don’t include personal property contents or special accessories.

In general, your auto insurance may cover liability while on the road—but you’re likely not covered for your own RV or belongings.

One of our licensed insurance advisors can help you review your auto insurance policy to see what coverage it offers your camper or RV. Call today at (844) 824-2888.

When your camper is on the campground

Now, when you’ve found a place to park at your vacation spot, your RV becomes a rental home. This makes you responsible for your camper and surrounding area as though it were your home. If someone gets injured in or near your RV, you are responsible.

This is generally not included on home or auto insurance. You’ll require specific RV insurance that covers your vacation rental, which we’ll discuss below.

Vandalism and theft are also concerns with an RV while camped. Neither your homeowners nor your auto insurance will cover any loss if someone steals something from inside your RV or if the camper itself is stolen. You’ll need RV insurance to protect the property and contents of your vehicle while camping.

What additional coverage do you need?

Your home and auto coverage might help you cover some basic liability costs, but they almost never cover damage to your RV or loss of anything inside your vehicle—especially when it’s out on the road taking a vacation. The liability from your home and auto may also not be high enough, especially if you use your RV often and/or on busier roads and campgrounds.

If you have an RV, you definitely should consider purchasing RV insurance.

RV insurance looks a lot like auto insurance in that it covers liability, collision, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured, and towing and roadside, and emergency. It also raises your liability limits higher for these policies than you would otherwise have if your RV was just a subset of your auto insurance.

RV insurance also has a lot of unique benefits that can help you out while you’re on vacation, like:

  • Emergency expenses: If something happens to your RV while on vacation, you could be left without a home or a vehicle. So emergency expenses will help pay for your lodging and transportation until you can get back home safely.
  • Vacation liability: This supplements your liability in case someone is injured in or near your RV while it’s parked on a campsite. This includes both bodily injury and property damage liabilities.
  • Personal effects (contents coverage): This policy will pay for the replacement cost of any lost or stolen personal belongings. This applies to possessions that you have within your RV (that you’ve itemized on your contents list) as well as any documented special accessories, like an awning or satellite dish.


RV insurance is the best way to protect your vacation home, no matter what incidents you might run into. If you’re not sure if your home or auto coverage will protect your camper, it’s a good idea to get RV insurance. We recommend bundling your auto and RV insurance to ensure you’re fully protected—and to save some money while raising your coverage!

Note: RV insurance is often required if you loan, finance, or rent the RV. The lender will usually require you to buy separate RV insurance to ensure you are fully protected. Some states also require separate RV insurance, so talk to an agent in your state to learn more.

Get more info about RV insurance here or call for a comparison quote today: (844) 824-2888.


Time for your trip!

The question, "Is my camper covered by homeowners insurance?" isn't so simple once you dig into it. There are times that hoemowners will provide coverage and generally adequate coverage, but due to the hybrid nature of an RV or camper, it's best to consult an insurance agent as to whether you need additional or increased coverage. Don’t end up with serious, expensive liability and property damage on your hands. Make sure you have the right coverage in place for your RV.   

Let’s make sure you’re covered. Call an insurance advisor today at (844) 824-2888 for a free consultation and conversation to get your RV protected and prepped for the season.


Not by the phone? Request a quote online now: